Friday 23 November 2018

Chris Green on Six Questions to Sharpen Your Next Sermon


I find Chris Green’s blog (ministrynutsandbolts.com) enormously helpful, even if – maybe because – his posts often challenge me to ‘up my game’.

A recent one – ‘Six Questions to Sharpen Your Next Sermon’ – is no exception.

Borrowing and adapting from Andy Stanley and John Ortberg, Chris notes: ‘I’ve found that there are six questions for me to ask myself, with a bit more bite to them, which help me to focus as I prepare’:

1. What do I want people to know?
2. Why do I want people to know it?
3. What do I want people to do?
4. Why do I want people to do it?
5. What do I want people to feel?
6. Why do I want people to feel it?

Recognising the significance of preaching to the heart, I particularly value the challenge of the last two.

No comments: