Tuesday 9 June 2009

Martin Luther on Salvation (and the Importance of Good Theology)

I came across the following today (from Martin Luther’s Bondage of the Will), which nicely illustrates the importance of good theology…

I need to know who it is who saves me so I can praise him.

‘For, if I know not how much I can do myself, how far my ability extends, and what I can do God-wards, I shall be equally uncertain and ignorant how much God is to do, how far His ability is to extend, and what He is to do toward me: whereas it is “God that worketh all in all” (1 Cor. 12:6). But if I know not the distinction between our working and the power of God, I know not God Himself. And if I know not God, I cannot worship Him, praise Him, give Him thanks, nor serve Him; for I shall not know how much I ought to ascribe unto myself, and how much unto God. It is necessary, therefore, to hold the most certain distinction, between the power of God and our power, the working of God and our working, if we would live in His fear.’

No comments: